|Publication Number||US 20130040844|
Provided are methods of diagnosis, prognosis, and monitoring of aging using biomarkers that have been discovered to be linked to biological aging process. Methods for increasing neural cell regeneration and cognitive function are also provided. The methods are, at least in part, based on a discovery that altered expression patterns of certain biological markers are associated with biological aging processes. These markers comprise at least Eotaxin/CCL11, 2-microglobulin, MCP-1 and Hap-toglobulin, increased expression of which has been shown to be associated with increase in biological aging process.
- 1. A method for measuring altered regenerative capacity and/or altered cognitive function in a subject the method comprising analyzing in a biological sample the amount of at least one biomarker from a group of four proteins consisting of CCL11, haptoglobin, CCL2, and β32-microglobin, wherein increase of more than 50% in the amount of the at least one protein compared to a reference value is indicative of decreased regenerative capacity and cognitive function in the subject.
- 2. The method of claim 1, further comprising a step of administering to the subject diagnosed with decreased regenerative capacity and cognitive function, a neutralizing antibody or RNA interfering agent against the biomarker the amount of which is increased.
- 3. The method of claim 1 further comprising the step of administering to the subject diagnosed with decreased regenerative capacity and cognitive function, an antagonists against a receptor to which the biomarker binds to.
- 4. The method of claim 1, wherein the amount of at least two proteins is analyzed.
- 5. The method of claim 1, wherein the at least one protein is CCL11 or CCL-2.
- 6. The method of claim 1, wherein the subject is human and the reference value is a value derived from pooled sample of humans between 20 and 45 years old who have been diagnosed as not being affected with impaired cognitive function.
- 7. The method of claim 1, wherein the biological sample is blood, serum, plasma, cerebrospinal fluid, or urine.
- 8. A method of identifying an agent capable of increasing decreased regenerative capacity and/or cognitive function the method comprising administering to a test animal over-expressing one or more of the group of proteins consisting of CCL11, haptoglobin, CCL2, and β2-microglobin, a test agent, and analyzing whether the amount of the protein is decreased compared to the level of the protein prior to administration of the test agent, wherein if the amount of the protein is decreased, the test agent is identified as an agent is capable of increasing regenerative capacity and/or cognitive function.
- 9. The method of claim 8, wherein the decreased regenerative capacity or cognitive function is associate with a neurodegenerative disease.
- 10. The method of claim 9, wherein said neurodegenerative disease is Alzheimer's disease.
- 11. The method of claim 9, wherein said neurodegenerative disease is Parkinson's disease.
- 12. The method of claim 9, wherein said neurodegenerative disease is Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- 13. The method of claim 9, wherein said neurodegenerative disease is neuroinflammatory disease.
- 14. The method of claim 9, wherein the subject is human.
- 15. The method of claim 1, wherein the subject is a non-human mammal.
- 16. The method of claim 1, wherein the level of the biomarker is determined using an assay measuring the protein amount or the mRNA amount.
- 17. (canceled)
- 18. The method of claim 1, wherein the level of the biomarker is determined using an immunoassay.
- 19. A system comprising: a determination module configured to receive and output a measuring information indicating the presence or level of a biomarker selected from a group comprising at least one protein from the group of four proteins consisting CCL11, haptoglobin, CCL2, and β2-microglobin from the biological fluid sample of a subject; a storage assembly configured to store output information from the determination module; a comparison module adapted to compare the data stored on the storage module with at least one reference value, and to provide a comparison content, wherein if the reference value is two fold or more different from the input information, the comparison module provides information to the output module that the biological fluid sample is associated with a subject that deviates from the reference value; and an output module for displaying the information for the user.
Find other patents with these classifications
10 related grants.
Sign in to view
33 related publications.
Sign in to view
Covalent Data is the world's most comprehensive collection of enriched content about emerging and licensable technology innovations.
Create a Free account today to see all results.
Get all Pro account features for 14 days.
No credit card required